Saturday, March 17, 2007

St. Patrick's Day!

The St. Patrick's Day celebrations over the weekend reminded me of story my Uncle told me just last year, about when my family were growing up in Ireland.

Back then we had a farm, one of many in the small rural town. While this farm, and others around the area managed OK, one had a particular problem. Whilst all the other farms had excellent land for grazing and planting, this particular one had nothing but rocks.

The family were good people, but there was nothing anyone could do with the farm to make it work. There was just no way turing a profit. Eventually, the farm became run down and the farmer died.

Then someone had an idea. "What can we do with this farm of rocks?" - Sell them!

And they did.

And this simple idea became the basis for a huge construction company.

I'm not a philosopher in anyway, but even I can get some form of moral from this one. There's opportunity everywhere, you just need to look around for it.

No comments: